Friday, February 3, 2012

A look to the past. . .

< Here are some pictures I had on my camera. As you know, I am HORRIBLE about taking pictures at preschool. I forget. Even when I put the camera in my pocket so I won't forget. I still forget.



Cooking up a storm in South America! Now aren't those the sweetest chefs you have ever seen? We used our math and measuring skills to whip up some authentic Brazilian cheese bread. Did you know that stuff is naturally gluten-free! I was so happy! I didn't have to adapt a recipe! Woot! Lily was excited, too, to learn that in Brazil they eat a bread that gluten-free. Everyone does!
The kids loved mixing, pouring and measuring, and even though I let them do it all themselves (and I didn't have time to test it out before school) the breads turned out delicious and my kitchen wasn't nearly as messy as I thought it would be.

I had the kids scoop the batter into mini muffin tins to make mini breads. They were so cute, and puffy and yummy!


Okay check out this awesome snack a parent brought in during January. Not the blurriness, that is all me, but the PENGUINS! those are cream cheese stuffed olives, people. Leave it to Rachel to bring an artistic, healthy snack that also goes with our Antarctica theme. They were good, too!



These two pictures are old. I love that this post is so random. Even that last sentence! But, I wanted to post them, since I rarely remember to take a picture. . . I can't waste a single one!

This was during our South America unit. . .uh. . .in November! Each child brought a fruit that comes from the rain forest. I cut them up and we made portraits of ourselves using the fruit. I showed them paintings by Giuseppe Arcimboldo and we tried to name all the fruits and veggies he used in his work. Then, we talked about shapes, lines and colors (a review from our art lessons) and had them draw the self-portrait they had made. They were so dang cute! Of course, then we ate! Yum. For writing time, we wrote the names of the fruits we had brought to school and for a little math, we talked about fractions as we cut up the fruit, and played a little fruit basket game where we had to take a fruit (how many are left), or put one back (how many now) and sometimes 2 or 3 people would take one out at a time. It was a great day. . .I think because it was all food related. Food makes things great.


Here is an example of Arcimboldo's work.  Why it is so huge, I don't know.  My talents do not include technical support.  

No comments:

Post a Comment