Sunday, November 6, 2011

One more look at Africa

I forgot to document something. . .well, many things. . .but one thing I really liked.



I gave each child a 12x12 piece of cardstock with the the shape of Africa on it.  After talking about where Africa is on the map and the animals that live there we learned the names of some of them in Spanish.  We even learned a fun Safari song in Spanish as well.  I told the kids to use that shape of Africa to draw an animal that might live in Africa.  We reviewed what we had been learning about line and shape and how to look for shapes in all art.  I showed them how to turn the paper to alter the shape.  Then, I gave them a few examples that I had made.  Then, they went to work.  They all looked so spectacular.  I was so proud of them for being so creative with a given shape.  What little artists we have!  And they all chose a different animal, all on their own.  We wrote the Spanish name of their animal on the paper and sent them home.  Lily's giraffe  monkey (I must have been tired.  Giraffe is her favorite African animal but she did, in fact, make a monkey.  Bad mom)  is one of those that I will keep forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment